Regardless of where you’re moving, whether it’s from house to another house, or home to college dorm, moving your bed can be daunting. Beds, especially bigger beds like queen sized and king sized are cumbersome and won’t fit inside a regular vehicle (unless you’re lucky to own a bakkie and can pack it onto the back). So, what is the right way to move your bed so that it doesn’t get damaged and filthy in the process, without giving you grey hair?
Moving Your Mattress
Many bed bases can be assembled and dissembled easily, making the base simple to move when it is in pieces. A mattress, on the other hand, can be a lot trickier to move around because it’s big and can’t be folded. If you’re looking at moving your mattress safely without ruining it, there are a few different options:
- First thing’s first; make yourself a makeshift mattress protector – this can be in the form of large plastic bags, old blankets covering every part and tied with a rope, or any kind of material that’s big enough to protect each side of the mattress during the move.
- Ask for help; mattresses can be very difficult to move on your own – it’s better if you can get a family member or a friend to help you carry the other side. This is especially true if you’re contending with stairs! Alternatively, if you have the funds, you can hire a moving company to do the heavy lifting for you.
- Transporting your mattress can be done in multiple ways. As mentioned, at the back of a bakkie (with a mattress protector) will be ideal. However, you can tie your mattress flat to the roof of your car – ensure that it is tied down absolutely securely so that it doesn’t slide around or off the back in the wind.
The next thing to consider is…
Is It Worth Moving a Mattress?
If your mattress is old and saggy and deteriorating, it may not even be worth making the move at all. You’ll know when your mattress has passed its peak, and you’ll be able to make a call whether it’s time to throw it out or move it into your next space. If it isn’t worth moving, it’s time for a new start! Buy a bed in a box online for easy transportation and set it up in your new spot for an epic first night, and every other night after.
Moving Your Bed
If your bed base cannot be dismantled, then transporting it can be difficult. It is not impossible, however. You can transport it in any of the ways mentioned above, but you may need additional equipment. Some useful tools include:
- Appropriate tools for loosening nuts and bolts (Allen keys, screwdrivers, handheld screwdrivers, etc.)
- A trolley
- A cover for the base (like the mattress cover)
Moving your bed can be simple if you are prepared, but as mentioned, it may be simpler to replace it altogether. If you’re looking to buy a new bed in South Africa, contact us for more information!