Any product’s lifespan will depend on how well you look after it, as well as the quality of the brand chosen. A mattress is no different. The lifespan of the mattress will rely on how frequently it’s used (i.e. if it’s used in a spare room where it is seldomly slept on), in what condition it’s kept in, how frequently it’s turned over and cleaned, etc. On average, however, a mattress should last up to 10 years. A Genie bed comes with a 5-year guarantee and a 15-year warranty.
How Often Should a Mattress Be Replaced?
When you should replace a mattress will depend on you; there will be tell-tale signs that it’s time to buy a new mattress. How do you know you need a new mattress? Here are some signs:
- Your mattress is starting to sag in the middle
- The springs are beginning to stick out and poke into you while you sleep, as well as squeak when you put pressure on the mattress
- Your back is consistently hurting when you wake up in the morning
- Your allergies have worsened when you wake up in the morning (even after deep cleaning your mattress) – this can indicate that you have an infestation of bedbugs; sometimes your mattress can be too far gone and might be better off being thrown away
These signs of needing to replace your mattress will be more and more apparent as time goes on. You can avoid them by maintaining your mattress properly over the years!
How Do You Maintain A Mattress?
When you look after something, it lasts. Get the most out of your mattress by doing the following:
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning and proper care of your mattress
- Use a mattress protector underneath your bedsheets to keep stains and dirt from getting into the mattress material and sponge; this should be kept clean to avoid stains sneaking through
- Match your mattress and bed base correctly; if your mattress is bigger than your bed base, it will sag off the sides and cause damage to the structure of your mattress, causing it to bend and warp more quickly. The best bet is to get a mattress and base bed set for perfect symmetry
- Flip your mattress every 2 – 3 months to keep it ventilated and clean. Flipping will also allow springs to recover in spots that are frequently used.
- To avoid bedbugs and other nasty unwanted creatures in your bed, you need to change your bedding frequently. This includes occasionally washing the actual pillows and duvets, not just the sheets.
Genie Beds offers quality mattresses and bed bases that are convenient, easy to install, and exceptionally comfy. They come with a convenient return policy, so in the unlikely event that you’re unsatisfied with it for whatever reason, you can send the bed right back and won’t have to wait 15 years to replace your mattress. Contact us for more information and to get your Genie Bed delivered conveniently to your door!